Methodology for Effective Decision-making on Impacts and AdaptaTION
Until recently, climate change policy in Europe focused on reduction of greenhouse gases. After the turn of the century, decision makers at the international, national, regional and local level in Europe increasingly recognized their own vulnerability to climate change impacts. To reduce this vulnerability in the most cost-effective way, they need scientific and technical information about climate change impacts, vulnerability and adaptation options. Currently, the availability of such information in Europe is fragmented and incomplete.
MEDIATION addresses this challenge through six activities:
- analysis of the decision-making context;
- inventory, review and further development of methods and metrics for impacts and vulnerability analysis;
- inventory, review and further development of methods and metrics for costing of impacts and adaptation options;
- the development of an overarching integrated methodology;
- the development of a flexible, interactive common platform for knowledge sharing;
- disseminating this knowledge through a dedicated outreach and training programme.
The components of the project will be connected in an iterative fashion, making use of a number of diverse case studies in different regions in Europe which combine selected regional, sectoral and cross-sectoral characteristics and policy questions. The projects aims at supporting the implementation of the EU White Paper on Climate Change Adaptation.
|Coordinator:||Dr. Rob Swart (Alterra)|
|Project Manager:||Nies Springer (Alterra)|
MEDIATION partner projects
|CLIMSAVE - Climate Change Integrated Assessment Methodology for Cross-Sectoral Adaptation and Vulnerability in Europe|
|RESPONSES - European Responses to Climate Change: Deep Emissions Reductions and Mainstreaming of Mitigation and Adaptation|
|ClimateCost - the Full Costs of Climate Change|